A total of seventeen $2,000 scholarships will be awarded each year under the Thomas H. Moore IEC Memorial Scholarship Program. These “Official Rules” will govern the award of all the scholarships except for the fifteenth scholarship, the “LaVern and Nola McEntire Memorial Lineworker’s Scholarship” (for that scholarship, please see the separate sheet entitled “LaVern and Nola McEntire Memorial Lineworker’s Scholarship Official Rules & Regulations”). Thirteen scholarships will be awarded to high school seniors whose parent(s) are an electric cooperative member who resides in Illinois or who is a member of an Illinois electric cooperative, and who is currently receiving services from the cooperative at the time the scholarship application is submitted. The fourteenth scholarship, the “Earl W. Struck Memorial Scholarship,” will be awarded to a high school senior who is the child of an electric cooperative employee or director who resides in Illinois.
A scholarship applicant is eligible for consideration in only one of the two above categories. Nine scholarships may be used for educational costs at any two-year or four-year accredited college or university in the United States, including vocational/technical schools. The remaining four scholarships will be reserved for use at a two-year Illinois community college. Children of electric cooperative members, employees and directors who reside in Illinois are eligible.
- Applicants are eligible to apply through only one electric cooperative.
- The applicant must be a high school senior.
- The electric cooperative through which a scholarship applicant applies must be a member of the Association of Illinois Electric Cooperatives.
- Scholarship winners must begin undergraduate studies within a year of being notified that they have won.
- Scholarship winners will be expected to be “full-time” students (at least 12 hours).
- Scholarships are for one year and are not renewable.
- Scholarships will be awarded based on grade point average, college entrance test scores, work and volunteer experience, participation in school and community activities, brief biographical statement, character essay and knowledge of electric cooperatives as demonstrated by a short essay.
- Deadline for receipt of completed applications and submissions is DECEMBER 31, 2023.
- Scholarship winners will be announced by the end of April 2024.