POSTPONED – NRECA SMDP 717
- SMDP 717
June 3, 2021
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Know the Rules: Legal Responsibilities and Liabilities for Supervisors
Hybrid Event: Attend online or in-person at the AIEC
DATE: Thursday, June 3, 2021
LOCATION: AIEC Headquarters | 6460 S. Sixth Frontage Road | Springfield, IL
INSTRUCTOR: Kristina Dietrick
CLASS HOURS: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: May 20, 2021
Supervisors and managers have the obligation to treat all employees and job applicants consistently and equally as outlined under the law. Handling team member issues in the most convenient or the nicest way may not be the legal or right thing to do. Whether your co-op has a full-time human resources staff to help you or not, to successfully supervise co-op employees you need to understand the human resource function and your liability with regard to employment laws. Learn how you can avoid common employment law pitfalls at your cooperative while improving your management skills, enhancing your leadership abilities and encouraging a productive work environment at your cooperative. This course is part of NRECA’s Supervisor and Manager Development Program (SMDP).
- Recognize your Human Resources (HR) responsibilities and liabilities as a supervisor.
- Explain legal pitfalls for supervisors.
- Distinguish between HR and supervisors’ responsibilities throughout the typical tenure of a co-op employee from when they’re hired to when they leave the co-op.
- Explain the elements of loss control as it applies to employee safety and health, including the impact on the cooperative’s bottom line.
- Basics of Human Resources
- Employment laws, including:
- Title VII of the Civil Rights of 1964
- The Pregnancy Discrimination Act
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act
- Americans with Disabilities Act (and amendments)
- The Equal Pay Act of 1963
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Fair Labor Standards Act
- Harassment – What is It?
- Supervisor’s role in preventing harassment
- Shared areas of responsibilities between supervisors and Human Resources
- Pitfalls to be aware of, including discrimination and nepotism
- Legal Vs. illegal interview questions
- Supervisory responsibilities in loss control and workplace safety
- Cost of an employee accident
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This program is intended for co-op staff with leadership responsibilities ranging from key contributors considering a supervisory role, to new and experienced supervisors and mid-level managers.
One (1) credit will be awarded upon the successful completion of this course and the learning assessment. Credit for this course may be applied toward NRECA’s SMDP Certificate.
Due to COVID-19, a boxed lunch will be served. Drinks and snacks will be available during the day. We are monitoring the recommendations of the CDC and local health departments, so please note this could change. If changes do occur a one-hour lunch break will be provided for attendees to grab lunch nearby.
Please use the AIEC hotel rate sheet to make reservations at the hotel of your liking. It includes several hotels nearby that offer AIEC special rates. View AIEC Hotel Rates
ONLINE ATTENDEE INFORMATION
- Zoom will be used for remote attendees.
- A participant guide and login information will be emailed to you a few days before the course begins.
- Please contact your co-op if you would like a printed copy of the guide.
- PLEASE LOG IN TO THE COURSE 15 MINUTES EARLY so that we can establish audio connections and be sure everyone is connected and comfortable.
- Please only connect with one device (laptop, or phone, or iPad).
- Online attendees need to have their camera on, if possible.
Cancellations made prior to the registration deadline will not be charged. Cancellations made within 48 hours of the course or if there is a “No Show,” will be charged $25. Substitutions are allowed unless the course is moved to be online only.
Venue: AIEC Headquarters
Venue Phone: (217) 529-5561Address: