NRECA SMDP 714
- SMDP 714
March 31, 2021
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Change is Hard: Guiding Your Team Through Complex Times
Hybrid Event: Attend online or in-person at the AIEC
DATE: Wednesday, March 31, 2021
LOCATION: AIEC Headquarters | 6460 S. Sixth Frontage Road | Springfield, IL
INSTRUCTOR: Scott Luecal
CLASS HOURS: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: March 16, 2021
With waves of technical, social, economic and regulatory changes, electric cooperatives now find themselves operating in what the U.S. military calls a VUCA environment (volatile, uncertain, complex, ambiguous). In this environment, supervisors must adapt to – and lead – continuous change at their co-ops. The types of changes differ, yet the change process itself is predictable, and so are the ways people respond to change. Supervisors who understand the most effective techniques, and develop solid plans, for navigating their teams through complexity, chaos, and confusion are better equipped to thrive in a VUCA world. This course is part of NRECA’s Supervisor and Manager Development Program (SMDP).
- Understand the supervisor’s roles and responsibilities related to changes at co-ops.
- Learn the typical causes of change and types of change and tools to effectively manage change.
- Describe the reactions most people have to change and use techniques for managing these reactions.
- Model the attitudes and behaviors needed for a successful change initiative.
- Address barriers to change.
- Effectively use the “4 Ps” of change communications:
- Purpose: why we have to do this.
- Picture: what it will look and feel like when we reach our goal.
- Plan: step-by-step, how we will get there.
- Part: what you can (and need to) do to help us move forward.
- Recognizing typical causes and types of change
- Supervisors’ responsibility in implementing change
- Techniques for managing team member reactions to change
- Planning process for implementing a change
- Future change agents impacting co-ops
- The “4 Ps” of change communications
- Modeling expected attitudes and behaviors
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This program is intended for co-op staff with leadership responsibilities ranging from key contributors considering a supervisory role, to new and experienced supervisors and mid-level managers.
One (1) credit will be awarded upon the successful completion of this course and the learning assessment. Credit for this course may be applied toward NRECA’s SMDP Certificate.
Due to COVID-19, a boxed lunch will be served. Drinks and snacks will be available during the day. We are monitoring the recommendations of the CDC and local health departments, so please note this could change. If changes do occur a one-hour lunch break will be provided for attendees to grab lunch nearby.
Please use the AIEC hotel rate sheet to make reservations at the hotel of your liking. It includes several hotels nearby that offer AIEC special rates. View AIEC Hotel Rates
ONLINE ATTENDEE INFORMATION
- Zoom will be used for remote attendees.
- A participant guide and login information will be emailed to you a few days before the course begins.
- Please contact your co-op if you would like a printed copy of the guide.
- PLEASE LOG IN TO THE COURSE 15 MINUTES EARLY so that we can establish audio connections and be sure everyone is connected and comfortable.
- Please only connect with one device (laptop, or phone, or iPad).
- Online attendees need to have their camera on, if possible.
Cancellations made prior to the registration deadline will not be charged. Cancellations made within 48 hours of the course or if there is a “No Show,” will be charged $25. Substitutions are allowed unless the course is moved to be online only.
Venue: AIEC Headquarters
Venue Phone: (217) 529-5561Address: