Lineman’s Safety Rodeo
- September 27, 2019
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Line personnel from cooperative members of the AIEC and Illinois municipal utilities are being invited to participate in the “Safety Rodeo” as part of a team, in the apprentice category and/or as an individual. Emphasis, as always, will be on safety, time is a tie-breaker.
- Hurt Man Rescue
- Egg Climb
- H-Structure Obstacle Course
- Crossarm Challenge
- 1st Annual Mary Zitek Head-to-Head Climbing Challenge
Individual Participants and apprentices will compete in the Egg Climb, H-Structure Obstacle Course, Pole Challenge (last event and Hurt Man Rescue. Prizes will be awarded for the top finishers in each event.
A team consists of two linemen and one ground support person or three linemen. If a man is hurt, he is out of the competition for the rest of the events. The team can then substitute an alternate man for the one hurt. Only two climbers per team will participate in climbing events. The third member, if he is a lineman, may be a climber for an event.
NOTE – The deadline for registration is no later than September 11, 2019. If team members or individuals have not been selected by September 11, please register your team or individuals on-line with the names of the individuals “To Be Announced” – this will guarantee that you can participate and that we will have participant’s shirts available.
- Registration begins at 8:00 a.m.
- The ‘LSR’ officially begins at 9:00 a.m.
- Designated parking area on the campus for ‘LSR’ participants and spectators
- Events will continue throughout the day
- Awards will be presented to the top finalists following the events (Overall, 1st, 2nd & 3rd place for each event.)
- Coffee and donuts will be available in the morning and a barbecue lunch will be provided for all participants and spectators. Iced tea, lemonade and water will be available throughout the day.
The cost of the team registration is $100 and $35 per individual/apprentice wishing to compete. The cost includes providing each participant with a long-sleeved T-shirt along with other costs related to the ‘LSR’.
What you need:
Participants will need to bring their own hooks, belt, hard hat, safety glasses, leather gloves, rubber gloves, rubber sleeves, hand tools, and hand lines. Please make sure that the tools are clearly marked by name for identification.
Please be advised:
- Participants are responsible for their own transportation and other expenses during the ‘LSR’
- Participants will be required to sign a liability release and hold harmless agreement before participating releasing the AIEC and its sponsors from any liability should an injury occur
- Participants will be required to sign a statement that they understand that all hooks, belts and hand tools furnished by the participant are in safe operating condition
Thanks to our Sponsors!
A block of rooms has been set aside at the Baymont Inn & Suites (217) 529-6655 under the “AIEC Safety Rodeo” block at a rate of $67.49 plus tax. Another block has been set-up at the LaQuinta Inn & Suites (217) 697-5686 under “AIEC Lineman’s Rodeo” at a rate of $65 plus tax. The cutoff date for reservations is September 20, please make your reservation(s) early to insure room availability.
Thad France, Manager of Lineworker and Apprentice Development
Mary Zitek, Safety/Education Services Coordinator
Jim Miles, Vice President of Training, Safety and Loss Control
Matt Eisenmenger, Safety Instructor
Leroy Barlow, Safety Instructor
To verify the rodeo will take place on September 27, if the weather forecast is excessive rain for the day, call the office at (217) 529-5561 by 4:00 p.m. on September 26.
Venue Phone: (217) 786-2200Address: