The winners of the 2023 Thomas H. Moore IEC Memorial Scholarship have been selected. The fund has grown from initially awarding two $1,000 scholarships in 1996 to now offering 14 $2,000 scholarships.
The 14 annual awards are specific for high school seniors who plan to enroll in a full-time undergraduate course of study at an accredited two- or four-year college, university or vocational/technical school.
Of those, nine scholarships are awarded to students who are the sons or daughters of an Illinois electric cooperative consumer-member receiving service from the cooperative. Four are reserved for students enrolling full-time at a two-year Illinois community college who are sons or daughters of Illinois electric co-op consumer-members, employees or directors.
The Earl W. Struck Memorial Scholarship is awarded to one student who is the son or daughter of an Illinois electric co-op employee or director.
This year, the 14 winners were selected from nearly 300 applicants. Here are the winners:
2-4 Year University (9 awarded)
- Brooklyn Bender – EnerStar Electric Cooperative
- Morgan Klaas – Illinois Electric Cooperative
- Abigail Meyer – Tri-County Electric Cooperative
- Jacob Furlong – Jo-Carroll Energy
- Isaac Vahling – Norris Electric Cooperative
- Hayley Drake – Egyptian Electric Cooperative Association
- Hank Bouillon – M.J.M. Electric Cooperative
- Hayden Habermehl – Monroe County Electric Cooperative
- Rhylee Sauerbrunn – Southern Illinois Electric Cooperative
Earl W. Struck Memorial Scholarship (1 awarded)
- Lucas Dotson – Adams Electric Cooperative
Full-Time two-year Community College (4 awarded)
- Sierra Wilson – Southeastern Illinois Electric Cooperative
- Erik Keeton – Rural Electric Convenience Cooperative
- Bree Vollman – Wayne-White Counties Electric Cooperative
- Sophie Trainor – Shelby Electric Cooperative
The winner of the LaVern and Nola McEntire Memorial Lineworker’s scholarship will be announced at a later date. It is awarded to an individual to attend lineworker’s school conducted by the AIEC in conjunction with Lincoln Land Community College.
The Illinois Community College System Foundation (ICCSF) administers the IEC Memorial Scholarship Fund.